<< Return to search results  

Student Visa's

author:Immigration NZ

All about student visas: Having a student visa means you can study in New Zealand for a set time at a specified institution as a full-time student.

Length of stay

You can only stay in New Zealand on a student visa for a limited time. 

If you are a full fee-paying student you may be granted a student visa for the period for which you have paid tuition fees (up to a maximum of four years).  If your programme of study is based on the New Zealand academic year, and you’ve paid your fees for the year, we may grant you a student visa that expires on 31 March of the following year.
If you are studying with an education provider that Immigration New Zealand (INZ) has a Memorandum of Understanding with, you have the opportunity to apply for a Length of Course visa.
If you are a full scholarship or fees scholarship student you may be granted a student visa for the period of your award (up to a maximum of four years).

Accompanying parents or guardians

If you are enrolled in years 1 to 8 of a school, or you are a student aged 13 or under and enrolled in a private training establishment, your parent or legal guardian must apply for a special visitor visa known as a guardian visa. A guardian visa allows your parent or legal guardian to live with and care for you in New Zealand.

However, your parent or legal guardian won’t have to accompany you if you are:

If you are aged 14 to 17 years (inclusive), or you are enrolling in school years 9 to 13, your parent or legal guardian can also apply for a guardian visa to live with and care for you in New Zealand, but it is not compulsory.

If you are granted a student visa on the condition that you live with a parent or legal guardian in New Zealand and you breach this condition, you and your parent or legal guardian may become liable for deportation.

Part-time study

Ordinarily, you need to be studying full time to be eligible for a student visa. However, we may allow you to study part time on a student visa if you are:

  • coming to New Zealand to study for a maximum of nine months, your programme of study meets New Zealand's foreign student policy requirements, you can show us that you have paid the tuition fees, and you meet our visitor requirements, or
  • in the final semester of a programme of study in New Zealand, resulting in a New Zealand qualification that would qualify for points under the Skilled Migrant Category.

Working while studying

You may be allowed to work for up to 20 hours each week and full-time during all scheduled vacations and/or during the summer vacation period. 2012